Saturday, 17 January 2015

I'm back and Alice for MCM

Well, it would be an understatement to say I have neglected this blog over the past year, but to put it simply, I have had a lot going on and fell out of the habit, and that includes cosplaying not just blogging.

However, I'm back and hopefully not going anywhere for a while :)

So, I'm off to the London MCM in May this year and after a lot of umming and ahhing I have decided I am going to dress as Alice from Alice: Madness Returns in the Royal Suit dress.





Originally I was going to buy the dress as I really wanted to make the Hobby Horse however now I am going to give it a go and make the dress too. It' mainly because I was being super picky and there wasn't a dress that was accurate enough for me, either the hearts on the bow were too big or the diamonds on the front were too small. If it all goes wrong I'll be putting a quick order in for one, hence why I am looking at making it now.

For the dress, I am using McCall's 5954 as a base, then will adapt the neckline and obviously wont be
adding the long sleeves. I have a couple of ways I want to do this, either make a red dress and add the side and front black panels or I want to make a black dress and make a red over skirt and panels to go over the shoulders. I'm thinking that making the black dress will be the easier option than doing the whole dress in panels. The worst part will be all that gold trim to put on and trying to get the hearts symmetrical (which isn't going to be easy when I don't have a dress form/mannequin, time to get the duct tape out I think).
I'll go into more detail once I start making it but for now I have some dark blue fabric I can use as a tester and I've downloaded the pattern, so I need to stick all the pieces together, cut them out and then make a blue dress, which if it turns out well I can use as a 'normal' Wonderland Alice dress.
Internet photo - red eyes

Photo I took from game, yellow eyes
For the Hobby Horse, I quite like the look of the Level 3 Horse. I have many ideas on how to make it but for the base, I think making a profiile of the horse in cardboard and building the shape up in chicken wire will be okay, and I have seen some that use a polystyrene half ball at the top of the head for support. I found someone who has made a  Pepakura file that's free to download of all the Hobby Horse's which will be a great help rather than looking constantly at pixalated images trying to get the shape. I am also hoping if I keep it hollow I can sort the eyes out to make them glow red/yellow (I'm a bit unsure on the eyes, descriptions and drawings suggest red but when I play the game this Hobby Horse has smoking yellow eyes) by the flick of a switch. This I may also do to the bow on her dress. As for the 'outer shell' I might do something like mod roc but that may end up too heavy. I could go very simple and do paper mache but it's something I am going to have to do some tests on for weight and for strength.

So first, I'm going to give it a go and make the dress, I'm hoping to make it all on my own, though my mum is aware I may be taking it around hers when it comes to the zip! I'll update soon on how it's progressing, just got to finish printing the pattern (only 80 more pages to go :( )


1 comment:

  1. At least you won't have as big a kerfuffle as we did with the aprons for our last Alice extravaganza :)

    I like this dress... and the silk maiden dress... and the steampunk one. In fact the only one I don't really like is the underwater dress.

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete